Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Facebook posts getting deleted automatically. A new bug on facebook.

Earlier today I got an IM from a friend of mine, he sent me a link, told me to look at it. Surprisingly, it was a wall post in my wall! Obviously I knew that post and I just didn’t understand the point of him sending me that link. Well, after that I didn’t get any reply from him, so I couldn’t stop myself and I finally asked him about the link he sent me. Astonishingly, he replies “which link”! Well, nothing irritates me more that this type of reply and after some spicy chat he tells me to click the link again and to my utter surprise, I see nothing there! This is the screenshot of what I saw:



Now it was really shocking, because there is no chance on earth he knew my password neither did he live nearby so that he might have sneaked into my place and deleted the post. I was unable to understand how the hell he do it and all I see in the chat box are smileys illustrating nothing but victory! Yeah, he actually trolled me for some time while I kept on asking him how did he do it. Anyway, after all that funny part, he told me about this bug in facebook which made anyone delete posts in their friend’s timeline, provided he has access to his/her wall and there are no images in that post. He also told me that people actually screwed Mark Zuckerberg’s (Well, if you don’t know who he is, don’t read this post!) profile, and yeah, all his recent public posts were deleted and his profile looked like nothing but a sample mock design! (Yes, his recent post where he clarified that he had nothing to do with the PRISM program, which was quoted at many news sources, was also deleted).

Screenshot of Zuck's Timeline taken from my  profile.


It’s really hard for me to imagine that Facebook, a website which probably has the second largest number of users (Of course after google), can suffer with a bug THIS big. And my friend kept on trolling his friends just like this.
Facebook has a very good reporting channel, through which we can report any post which we feel was harassing us or our friends. After thorough checking of the posts, if facebook finds that the report was genuine, the post was removed and the concerned person would get a notification, saying that the post was removed. They also sent a warning message to the person whose post was deleted although they never let them know who reported them. Good, right?
Now what happens when this whole system goes drunk? (That’s what I will call it!) This is what happened a couple of days ago. After someone reported a post, selected the option which says ‘harassing my friend’ and then reported the same to facebook, within seconds a notification appears that the post was reviewed and deleted! Whoa! Hang on there facebook… how come you made a review so fast! Well, that is the whole point. Posts were getting auto deleted without any review. And here my friend kept on reporting posts of his friends!

See how fast were the notification coming after the report!

I just hope that facebook rectifies this problem as soon as possible, and till the time being, if you were lucky enough to read this post, go on, have fun! (You know what I mean ;)

No comments: